Over the weekend I celebrated another ‘closer to 30 than 20′ birthday. To mark the occasion, The Brooding Architect and I held an afternoon picnic along the banks of the Yarra River with a lovely group of old and some very new friends (special mention to the newest of them all – The Tall Professor). Fortunately the rain held off for most of the afternoon and we managed to ignore the late evening showers by drinking far too much sangria and gorging ourselves on sopressa, prosciutto and cheese (all courtesy of the Mediterranean Wholesaler).
In my mind no picnic is complete without some sweet treats. Inspired by the fabulous Mars Bar Crackle I recently ate at Captains of Industry, I decided to recreate my own version to bring along to the birthday picnic. The entire double batch of Crackles (48 in total) disappeared very quickly and were given the ‘thumbs up’ by all.
These Mars Bars Crackles literally only take 15 minutes to make (plus refrigeration time) – so are a quick and easy option next time you are on picnic or BBQ dessert duty.
Mars Bars Crackles
- ‘Fun Size’ Bag of 12 Mars Bars (or 4 regular sized Mars Bars, quartered)
- 120g unsalted butter
- 120g Rice Bubbles
- Small packet of Malteasers
- Place the Mars Bars and butter in a large saucepan and cook over medium heat, until the butter has melted. Whisk together until well combined.
- Add the Rice Bubbles to the saucepan and stir until well combined, ensuring that all of the Rice Bubbles are evenly coated with the mixture.
- Working quickly before the mixture sets, place a Tablespoon of the mixture into each patty case. Stick a Malteaser on top of each Crackle.
- Refrigerate until firm (minimum of two hours).